Friday, November 4, 2011

Hannah makes real food

Here's the thing: I'm not so great at making real food. Yeah, I can bake a mean hand pie, and I can frost a cupcake so prettily you'll swoon. I can even make a pretty darn good sandwich. But dinner food? Not so much. I'm not sure if you know about the forgetting-the-water-in-the-Easy-Mac-and-almost-burning-the-house-down story. I think you get the point.

Anyway, it was my turn to cook at my new apartment in Kenya the other night. So I spent about two hours looking online for a simple recipe to make. And then I spend another two hours having multiple small panic attacks in the grocery store. (No mushrooms? Are you serious? Wait, is this all the cheese you have? You're telling me that you don't sell anything but whole milk? Is that a joke?) Etc, etc. 

Eventually I settled on a simple pasta, tossed with chicken cubes and tomatoes in garlic olive oil. I was positive it was going to be a mushy mess.

BUT IT WASN'T! HAPPY TIMES! 

Okay, I know it's really, really hard to mess up pasta with olive oil. But you're talking to the girl who baked the same cake (from a cake mix) 5 times and has yet to successfully keep it from collapsing. Or perhaps my mother just sabotaged each one so she could claim the Happy Cake crown.

That's beside the point.

Here's a lovely picture of my first-ever homemade dinner!

About the wine: I'm legal, in Kenya. SO THERE

No comments:

Post a Comment