Saturday, November 5, 2011

Ginger Cake Donuts with Nutella Glaze and Snickers topping

Yum.

Apparently being in Kenya has made me a better baker, because I've made two fantastically yummy things in the past two days.

Baking here isn't easy. There's a very limited selection of supplies, so I've had to improvise a bit. For example, there isn't any buttermilk here. I've seen one tub of cream cheese, but it looked suspiciously like cottage cheese. Corn syrup is called "liquid glucose" (literal, isn't it?). And originally, when I couldn't find a cupcake pan anywhere, I bought a mini donut pan instead. (Does anyone else think it's strange that they have donut pans, but not muffin pans? Or is it just me?)

One of my favorite snacks in Kenya is ginger nuts, little gingersnap crackers. I decided to try and make a cupcake (and then a donut, per my limitations) inspired by these yummy little noms. I used a ginger cake mix with a few pinches of cinnamon thrown in, made a Nutella glaze using 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1 tbsp Nutella and 2 tbsp milk, and crumbled some Snickers on top.




Please take the time to admire my food styling, and the use of paper towel as background. 

Dee-licious.

No comments:

Post a Comment