Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Very Berry Birthday Cake


I decided to give this post a very innocent-sounding name, because the festivities surrounding this cake were not exactly innocent.

This is a great "healthy" cake for those people in your life who DON'T want a double-fudge peanut-butter-cookie-dough ice cream cake for their birthdays. Not that I'd be interested in a cake like that.

For this cake, I used a standard yellow cake mix (my favorite is Duncan Hines.) I whipped up my signature cream cheese frosting -- super simple and delicious. Although boxed cake mix can usually pass for homemade, I think homemade frosting tastes SO much better than the can. I'll always take the time to make my own frosting. 

I baked two 9-inch yellow cakes and layered frosting, blueberries, and raspberries between them. I think the cake turned out gorgeously -- and tasted pretty fantastic as well.

Cream Cheese Frosting:

16 oz cream cheese, room temperature
8 oz butter, room temperature
3-4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Blend together cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add in vanilla, then powdered sugar one cup at a time, until desired consistency is reached.

No comments:

Post a Comment